Wednesday, April 29, 2009

"Flight" by Sherman Alexie Review

I was recently recommended by my English teacher at a book fair at school to try reading a book by Sherman Alexie, a very dynamic author, who often uses his Indian heritage as a theme in his books.

I chose to buy the book Flight, mainly because of the interesting cover and the large text. I'm glad I chose this book, because it was one of the best books I have ever read. The story begins with a 15-year-old rebellious half Indian/ half White foster child in a new foster home. He tells us to call him Zits, without telling us his real name. He hates everyone, except for one 17-year-old interestingly called Justice. After a certain incident (read to find out) he begins an odyssey throughout the lives of many different people, and time era's, each with a challenge or an epiphany. It is a truly deep and modern novel, and I highly recommend it.

Alexie's style is so unique. The book reads very fast-paced, and the sentences are not too hard to understand, yet there are so many profound meanings and connections made throughout the book, which he won't outright say until the end, but you will most likely notice them beforehand. Via the mind of Zits (and the bodies and minds of others), Alexie conveys messages that truly make you think, without obscuring them with complex sentence structure.

Also, Alexie has a great sense of humor, he'll throw in lines that catch you off guard and make you laugh. Just on the third page he throws in a line which immediately made me respect his humor because of how peculiar but funny it was.

"And my alarm clock isn't playing Blood, Sweat & Tears or any other kind of music, so I punch it quiet, get out of bed, walk into the strange pink bathroom, and pee for three minutes"


I laughed out loud when I read this and just thought "What?". You pretty much have to read on after this. This book never gets boring, because there is always something happening, and every previous sentence makes you want to read the next one. Go buy this book!
______________________


I'm glad to actually be able to praise a book, because recently I have been forced to read, or sparknote some pretty miserable books such as "Their Eyes Were Watching God" by Zora Neale Hurston. I'll post my thoughts on that book later.

No comments:

Post a Comment