Sunday, May 3, 2009

Im Red/Green Colorblind

So I was at the eye doctor the other day, and I seemed to pass everything, including the barrage of separate lenses and letters, until the eye doctor showed be some big circles comprised of little circles of different colors. Then she asked if I saw a number in each of them, and I told her a number for each one, but on a few I struggled to see some. I forgot to study the night before because I thought I knew all the stuff, but I failed the color test! So after I was transported into the next room, probably for further interrogation regarding my color faux-pas, a different, more official looking doctor accompanied by a sidekick intern walked in.

Then she broke the news. "You're mildly red/green colorblind"

"Oh..." I replied

"It's no big deal its not like it changes a lot but you might not be able to be a fighter-pilot when you grow up."

I was devastated. All my life all I could think about was being a fighter pilot, flying around, doing flips in midair, taking out other fighter pilots. When I was 3 I got my first model airplane to play with and I was in love with planes ever since. I even tried flying one off the roof of my 2 story house when I was 8, and it worked.

Just kidding, I actually never really wanted to be a fighter pilot or anything.

When I asked the doctor how this affects the way I see things, she told me: "That's more of a philosophical question, I really don't know. Maybe its just different for you."

"Great." I thought. Now I have to go around for the rest of my life trying to think about how I see differently, mildly differently. Maybe Christmas is just less exciting for me. Maybe my red and green colors are switched. I guess I'll just ask a philosopher, who is probably better with philosophical questions than I am.

My whole life has been a lie and I have no idea what red and green is now. For now, I suppose I will just walk around, maimed in the eyes. Hopefully I will survive this colorblindness and continue on with my life...

Actually, its no big deal and doesn't really change anything at all, so I'm not worried about it.

1 comment:

  1. Alrite, I have no clue where to put this, so I'll just put it here. (is there a way to send messages on this site??)---

    Thanks a bunch for reading my poem!!
    I am incredibly new to poetry... I've just been writing a ton lately, since I'm taking a poetry class. (The first semester was short fiction)
    But anyways, yeah, I used to hate poetry. It seemed all pretentious and boring to me....but I have found recently, through certain pieces here and there, the absolute beauty and emotion poems can display. And I find that the ones that are the simplest are the most powerful. The ones that make you, after you read it, go "hey, i could have written that!"--those ones just stick with you. Those and the ones that offer a new perspective; mixing up the words in a new way.

    So yeah, I'll pipe down now...

    Who's your favorite author then?

    -Trevor

    (if you wanna just message over litnet, my id is AtomicCafe1. It'd probably be loads easier)

    ReplyDelete